Advice on garden block wall construction.
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
m7ohn
Tradesman
Tradesman

Advice on garden block wall construction.

by m7ohn » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:25 am

Can anyone advise me on where to go to get technical information for this project? It is a garden wall between myself and my neighbour.

Garden wall 18 metres long. Three level changes each at 6 metre intervals.

First stage, 6 metres out from my house. Looking for a height of about 1.9metres overall. The first 900mm height of this wall will be retaining my neighbours garden for the full 6 metres. The remaing 1 metre height will be just free standing.

Second stage. A step up in garden level of 900mm. So now my garden level is equal to my neighbours. Looking for approx 1.2 metres overall height for the next 6 metres out.

Last stage another 200mm step up in height for the last 6 metres and finally tieing into the rear block wall of my garden.

Need advice on depth/width of footings. Thickness of wall required doing the retaining bit. Number of piers and will i need to do a stepped trenched footing for the level changes?

If anyone can provide details of a service i can scan and email my drawings, of course i expect to pay fees.

Cheers

Marcus

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:54 pm

m7ohn,
The size and depth of the foundations needed will depend on the sub-soil conditions - this can only be determined by digging the foundations and enlarging them if required.
I suggest you find yourself a surveyor to give you advice (including on site) - the wall you are proposing will need careful design especially since you do not mention any dog legs.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:41 pm