Information, help and advice on all areas of landscaping and land design

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jgoodma3
Labourer
Labourer

Advice on laying a shed base

by jgoodma3 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:18 am

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice on building a 6x4 ft shed base using pavers.
My garden is at a bit of a gradient, sloping both downwards and to the right, you can get an idea from this photo:

http://i.imgur.com/SdPiroT.jpg

(The lowest point is about 8 inches lower than the highest)

As you can see, I (probably foolishly) decided to go ahead and start digging a foundation; my plan was to follow some of the advice I'd seen on a website and lay a sub base layer, and then pavers on top. This would provide me with a level surface for standing my new shed on.

My dilemma is regarding how I deal with the slope - my original plan was to take soil away so that it would all be the same level as the lowest point, and perhaps adding a small retaining structure (maybe a sleeper) at the highest side to account for the drop off.
Do you think this is the best way to approach it? Should I instead be considering adding height to the lowest point? I'm really just trying to keep the job as simple as possible as I'm not all that experienced at DIY.

I would really appreciate your comments :-)

Thank you.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Advice on laying a shed base

by welsh brickie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:47 am

level the area as best you can, Use concrete 100mm thick concrete blocks laid on the side, 8 will do, make sure they are level then put your shed on top, the gap under the shed will be ventilated so will dry any moisture,if you want it higher then lay treated 100mm x 50mm timber on top of the blocks then lay the shed on top

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:37 am