Advice on Painting Water Based Emulsion Over Silk Emulsion and Other Decorating Advice
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

ESSA
Labourer
Labourer

Advice on Painting Water Based Emulsion Over Silk Emulsion and Other Decorating Advice

by ESSA » Tue May 23, 2017 8:08 am

Hey guys first post here ☺
, i need some advise on couple of things before start decarationg in the living room.
I have embossed wallpaper on the celling its been painted with white silk emulsion i think. What i wanted to ask was what do i need to do in order to paint a water base emulsion white vinaly or acrylic matt over it in terms of prep work. Do i need to clean it down with suger soup, undercoat with acrylic waterbase, i dont think i need to use sealent or primer cant see no stain on the paper or should give it quick wipe down with sugr soup and paint directly over it.

2nd question

1. Trim windowseal

The trims i.e window seal is oil glossed white painted but some one made messy job of it's patchy and they didn't leave it long enough to dry before they started putting things on it.

My question is should i sanddown the window seal than use zinseer 123 plus primer or B I N reason is im going use water base eggshell or satin but i read somewhere that egshell and satin have undercoat properties too.

2. Trim door frame and skirting boards

They have been painted in dark oil gloss and maybe varnised but dont how to tell.

Should i do the same has with the window seal method but not sure on what finsh to go for satin or eggshell waterbase.

Half of the skirting board is bare and painted. Should i use one of zinsser products again or is there some things else i could use which has bothe5 primer and undercoat.

Last question whats best finsh in trim terms. Matt celling , satin window seal and rest of trim or eggseal window seal and satin for rest of trim i.e door frame and skirting board,also this color scheme is going to go in the hall way too

Recomadation for paint and products to be used.

It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:18 am