Advice on Replacing G4 Lights Under Kitchen Units With LED's
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Phartypants
Labourer
Labourer

Advice on Replacing G4 Lights Under Kitchen Units With LED's

by Phartypants » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:07 pm

Hi all, I have six of those triangular G4 lightfittings under my kitchen wallunits which keep blowing. I want to replace with LED units. There are two 240v - 12v transformers on top of the wallunits which feeds 3 of the lightfittings each.

Question 1. Are there any recommended cabinet LED lightfittings and is 5w enough(or too much)?
Question 2. I presume I need to replace the transformers with LED drivers but will a new driver feed 3 LED fittings?

Many thanks in advance!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Advice on Replacing G4 Lights Under Kitchen Units With LED's

by ericmark » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:43 am

Most of the advantage in extra low voltage goes when moving to LED. In the main better to use low voltage (230 vac) and do away with transformers and drivers all together. Well the driver is built into the bulb.

I use 2W GU10 LED lamps as reading lamps at bed head. They are ample.

If you do go for extra low voltage (12V) then forget the names. Driver should be a current regulating device, but often you find voltage regulated devices are also called driver, so you have to look at the spec.
DC, 12 volt (not 0~12 volt) and 0~ X amp (not 320 mA) so easy to make a mistake.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:03 pm