Advice on Water Conditioning & Boiler Compatability Requ
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

pde
Labourer
Labourer

Advice on Water Conditioning & Boiler Compatability Requ

by pde » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:23 pm

We're having a building extension done which will entail removing the old (23+ years old) gas boiler. Consequently, I plan to replace this wonderfully reliable old unit with a modern high-efficiency condensing type; however, we live in a very hard-water area. Therefore, I also plan to fit a water conditioning unit, the salt/resin exchange type not the easier and cheaper electric ion polarity type, to protect it and to improve the general houshold water supply. So my question is: can I fit the water softener between the incoming rising main and the new boiler? Would doing this invite any problems (immediately or down the line) I wonder to affect either the new boiler or the HW/CW supply to the house?

Before I select a suitable replacement boiler and water softener - we have an indirect DHW system with a relatively new HW cylinder at the moment - I'm wondering if we should switch to a Combi condensing system or stick with the indirect system we presently have? One issue is that there is a considerable HW dead-leg between the present boiler location (which it is planned to be repeated, the boiler location that is) and the kitchen sink HW tap, any suggestions as to how this can be overcome without locating the boiler elsewhere (i.e. not in the kitchen)? We also plan to install a new power shower and whirlpool bath, none of which it is anticipated will be drawing water simultaneously to any great extent with the normal 'run of the mill' kitchen appliances, as there aren't many consumers to worry about. Any advice and guidance on these matters would be gratefully received.
Many thanks,
pde

It is currently Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:01 pm