Advice on Window Condensation in Tropical Rainforest
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

Tenzin
Labourer
Labourer

Advice on Window Condensation in Tropical Rainforest

by Tenzin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi there,

I'm new here but have been stuck with a window-related problem that I haven't been able to find any solution to for weeks now. I'd ask the locals but experts are few and far between here, so I'm turning to the trusty Internet!

I live in the middle of a tropical rainforest, where there is 90% humidity. The days are extremely warm (averaging 38-39 degrees Celsius) with a lot of direct sunlight, while the temperature at night drops down to 22 degrees Celsius.

As can be expected in the rainforest, we have plenty of plants, some of them coming right up to our windows (which, in some rooms, is pretty much floor-to-ceiling glass panels).

To keep cool, we have airconditioning throughout the house. So the issue is that my windows keep fogging up. The condensation in some rooms is so horrendous that I might as well as tinted my windows, because they become that opaque.

I've tried everything to solve this from the natural homemade toothpaste remedy to Rain-X anti-fogging treatments. The toothpaste was useless and didn't make it through 24 hours. I've seen some mixed results with Rain-X; in some rooms, it works while in others, it does not and even then, only lasts up to three days. With up to 15 panels of glass per room, it's a little labour intensive wiping Rain-X onto the glass every three days.

I was wondering if anyone here has some ideas as to how we can resolve this issue. It's such a huge waste that the condensation on the glass prevents us from looking out into the trees to enjoy the view, but turning off the airconditioning isn't an option because of the sweltering daytime heat. Replacing our glass (single glazing) with double glazing isn't really an option either, due to the expense.

I would really appreciate your answers, or some suggestions. Being limited by budget (due to the number of windows we have), we're completely stuck for a solution at the moment!