Advice Please on Rear Extension wall Alterations
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bouba
Apprentice
Apprentice

Advice Please on Rear Extension wall Alterations

by bouba » Thu May 15, 2014 2:00 am

Hi,
Please see the picture..

I would like to extend my current patio door in my 1930's built house.I have 2 problems.Please advice how to resolve these.I am really confused and frustrated.

1.I want to extend this room by 1 meter only, to make a passage to the kitchen which is already extended(The kitchen is to the left of the picture, not seen here).The neighbor does not want my wall to go over boundary line.Is it possible to build a free standing wall with a end pier,attached to half of the party wall with wall starter kit.The wall will be solid rather than cavity.

2.The neighbor's extension is set back from the boundary line by 1 foot with a flat roof.My roof which is pitched at present is covering the whole of party wall(The white wall in picture).It is also providing a shelter to the gap in between of party wall and his extension wall. have been advised that I can build up to the boundary line,which will be half of this white wall.Now the neighbor is being unreasonable,telling me that I can do whatever I want but all on my side of the boundary.I am happy with that but how do I overcome with the gap problem.How do i seal the wall or make the gap water/weather proof.

I do not with to cut corner or encroach on my neighbor's space but what would be the easiest solution.Please give me a head start so I can finish this project.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions.
Thank you for your inputs.
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (51.78 KiB) Viewed 2352 times

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Advice Please on Rear Extension wall Alterations

by welsh brickie » Thu May 15, 2014 5:55 pm

you can extend the roof by installing a flat roof, to seal it, it would be better to either use a lead flashing or flashband then a plastic facia on top. For the wall you could use a wood or steel post to support the roof and clad it with plastic to seal it against the wall, wood studding interior wall can then be waterproofed insulated and plasterboard

bouba
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bouba » Thu May 15, 2014 9:13 pm

Sorry WB. Could you please elaborate in a little bit more detail please. Are you saying I can only have flat roof. Can I not have pitched.

What do you mean by supporting the roof by timber. Thanks for your help.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Fri May 16, 2014 5:27 pm

by having a flat roof it is cheaper and easier to install, I assume that the upvc doors are approx. 2300mm high, if you take the doors out and fix your timbers to the facia on your existing building and extend out 1m then prop the roof up with a post, it can be free standing, to seal your neighbours roof to yours flashband or lead will have to be sealed on top hope that makes sense

ruben93watson
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ruben93watson » Mon May 26, 2014 11:47 am

I think yes, you can build a free standing solid wall with a end pier. In order to overcome with the gap problem, I think you need expert advice. Get in touch with a professional in your neighborhood and understand the actions required.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:09 am