Advice - save 25% on heating bills??!
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mike_Saunders
Labourer
Labourer

Advice - save 25% on heating bills??!

Post by Mike_Saunders » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:22 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone have come across an energy saving company called "Thermilate"

They claim they can save me 25% on my heating bill by using any of their wide range of products. I am particularly interested in the paint and additive.

I have read through all their statements from what I understand they use NASA based technology to reflect heat, which has ceramic micro spheres with a vacuum inside stoping air from traveling.

I live in a north facing house, so no matter what type of insulation I have tried they all seemed to only delay the heat from going out, but this Thermilate sounds promising by actually stoping heat-loss.

Anyone here come across this product? :shock:

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:24 pm

I have no knowledge of the product, but it seemed interesting enough to visit their website.

Immediately, I can see a number of discrepancies and convenient manipulation of figures to support their claims. For example. they claim that the product can reduce heat loss through a wall by 25% (its 30% by the way on another page). But what type of wall? That's not mentioned! Normal cavity wall insulation reduces heat loss by 25% compared to open brick construction.

The product claims to slow the absorption of heat into a wall or ceiling, (Didn't we do this in the 70's by sticking polystyrene tiles everywhere?) which is about all the product actually claims to do. But so what? It is actually advantageous for walls to get warm. Just keeping the air warm means as soon as a door is opened, the temperature plunges. It was always the downside of warm air heating.

No mention is made of efficiency compared to other insulations. In fact the industry standard U value does not, as far as I can see, get a mention. I wonder why?

It likens itself to miniature thermos flasks, well, they don't keep contents hot for extended periods of time. So exactly what's the paint supposed to do that traditional insulations fail to do?

Maybe I have missed something, but I bet I haven't.

Mike_Saunders
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Mike_Saunders » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:25 am

I have noticed Thermilate with a lot of test data on their website, you can find it on thermilate.com website.

It shows quite a lot of independent that has been carried out all around the world by many world leading Laboratories, along with UKAS approved Labs in the UK, proving scientifically Thermilate products save energy. Thermilate is also approved by EnergyStar as an energy saving product.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:02 am