AIR IN NEW TANK
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
K Gilbert
Labourer
Labourer

AIR IN NEW TANK

by K Gilbert » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:38 pm

I had a new hot water tank fitted a few weeks ago.
On start up in the morning now there is a lot of air moving around the system.
same in afternoon startup
Its not the Rads I have bled them. the air can be heard in the hot water heater.
Why would this happen weeks after fitting?
How can I cure this as it seems to be getting worse.
I hope someone out ther can help

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

by Dave From Leeds » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:56 pm

When you say the hot water heater do you mean the new cylinder? If so have a look at it. There should be two pipes going into it, one directly above the other, on one side. These are the feed and return pipes between the boiler and the heating coil inside the cylinder.

You may be lucky with it being new. A bleed off point, like a radiator bleed valve, might have been fitted on the higher one of these pipes near where it enters the cylinder. If not, try loosening the joint on the higher pipe on the side of the cylinder. This should allow any air trapped in the coil to be released. When only water is dripping out, retighten the joint.

Alternatively, get the people who fitted it back to sort it out at their expense. They shouldn't have left it with air in the system.

Good luck.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:27 pm

I imagine that the hot water entry point on the copper cylinder is the highest point on your central heating?
One way to deal with this is to add a T into the top pipe and to fit an air vent. Screwfix have one Quote No: 97868 Pack Prices (inc. VAT) Quantity 1 £4.35

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:00 pm