Air Trapped in CH
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
beadie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Air Trapped in CH

by beadie » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:52 pm

Having had boiler noise when DHW was on in the morning a plumber put some Noise Reducer fluid in my F&E tank. This cured the noise issue but where as before there were no issues with the CH, when it is put on now and gets to temperature, air is trapped in the system that you can here being forced through the upstairs Rads. Only affects the upstairs Rads but the noise is so bad that at the moment I have the CH off. Other than drain the system/flush is there anything else I can do. I have bled all the rads and all are OK.

humperdink
Tradesman
Tradesman

by humperdink » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:50 pm

probably could be a lot of things
but did the plumber maybe turn your pump speed because if the sound you hear is like a hissing noise it MAY just be the water rushing through your radiators
there are 2 things you could try
- check the lockshield valves on your radiators upstairs & check they are not screwed down too low
- if you know where your pump is you could check the setting & turn it down - speeds normally indicated by I, II, or III

my money is on the plumber turning up the pump speed to help cure your boiler noise, the only problem is turning it down may cause the noise to return - even with the boiler silencer - but still worth a go

can't think of anything else not knowing what type of system you have

good luck

beadie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pump Speed

by beadie » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:49 am

Pump was set at setting 3 before the issue and is still at 3 now. Ideal condensing boiler with immersion tank and f&e tank and other tank in loft. Not an expert but if I can give any more info please let me know. PLumber came and listend to the noise and said it was air be pushed through the rads.

humperdink
Tradesman
Tradesman

by humperdink » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:53 pm

sorry i assumed it was an old boiler with kettling noises
personally i dont think adding a boiler silencer is a good solution on a condensing boiler - it may only be masking a more serious problem, as they should modulate the gas constantly.

The silencer is a frothy substance which could explain the noise(before fancy things like that fairy liquid was used!!).

i would consider adding a descaler to the system for a couple of weeks to clear out the heat exchanger/system

thanks but a bit of a tricky one hopefully thats helpful

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1