Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Matticussss
Labourer
Labourer

Airbourne bass TV noise

by Matticussss » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:26 pm

Hi

I am renting a couple of rooms in a house with an elderly couple. The house is old, run down, and worst still the lounge is beneath my bedroom and has a TV, which they watch until late at night LOUD. I've tried explaining to them about turning down the bass, but I have the feeling this is the frequency they hear the best, which is why they have it up so high.

What is the best solution to reduce the interruption to my sleep! Any ideas of an indicative budget rate /m2 to give me an idea of how much this may sting me?

I am hoping to lose the carpet, insulate under the floor boards, then sand down the floorboards as the carpet is disgusting.. Insulation type tips please..

Thanks in advance

Regards

Matthew

bourneid
Labourer
Labourer

by bourneid » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:17 pm

I have a similar problem. I've recently purchased some special flooring that is about 14 Euro per sq meter, but it has a triple layer. The company that makes it is Knauf. Basically super-dense acoustic wool with two hard plates on top. That might be overkill if you don't want to invest - for us it was cheaper than moving again. Check to see if your building floor can support the extra weight before you purchase anything. Our stuff is 26.6 Kilo per sq meter. Note that acoustic insulation is more dense and thus heavier. Insist on acoustic insulation, not just the regular stuff - or else I don't think it will be worth the effort.

Be certain the noise is not coming up through shared vertical walls. If you don't have a sound level meter, when the TV is on simply put your ear on various walls to get an idea where the actual sound is coming from, it might not be all from the floor even if they are directly below. I found that some noises are coming through a side wall rather than the floor.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:44 am