airvent removal ?
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fosterawe
Labourer
Labourer

airvent removal ?

by fosterawe » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:13 pm

im tiling my mums bathroom and there is an old concrete type airvent i want to remove and replace with a modern plastic one , are they difficult to remove ?

2tellytel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: airvent removal ?

by 2tellytel » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:23 am

I am making the assumption that the old air vent is flush to the wall and always open.

If so just cover with flush plastic slider vent, this will give you the option of venting when needed and shutting off when not.

hope this helpful

fosterawe
Labourer
Labourer

by fosterawe » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:28 pm

thanks for the info , the airvent comes out from the wall about 2 thirds of an inch so is not flush , could i get a cold chisel and remove ?

2tellytel
Apprentice
Apprentice

by 2tellytel » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi, obviously I cannot see exactly what you have got, but assuming it is working as an air vent, I would not attempt to chisel away at it, could be very messy and give you bigger problem.
You say it sticks out approx two thirds of an inch, in that case I would get some 1"x 1" timber or such like and make a frame around it, then fit a close fitting plastic sliding vent ( buy these any diy shop they come in various sizes) .
You can paint the timber white or whatever colour suits.
If you are tiling around the vent area you can tile first then fit new vent cover.
To me it would seam a shame to replace with plastic what sounds like a good solid vent.

Hope all helps good luck.

fosterawe
Labourer
Labourer

by fosterawe » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:42 am

thanks for youre idea , its very good and im going to go ahead with that , much appreciated !

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:13 am