Aluminium Sliding patio door lock jammed.
Post your questions and get answers concerning many areas of this subject

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alanjacobs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by alanjacobs » Fri May 29, 2009 8:58 am

Hi Can anyone help with how to free up ( or even to replace if needed ) a lock in a sliding aluminium patio door?

This is an old Everest door and has a key lockable lever that latches the door and throws extra bolts top and bottom. Over time the lever has become harder and harder to turn until now when it is jammed solid in the open position.

I've had a look but can't see how to adjust this or remove the lock to replace it - so any ideas before I call it quits and have a new upvc unit fitted?

Lock is secured by 2 screws that go through the door and attach the inner and outer handles. I can remove these but the lock unit does not come out of the door as it seems to be held by the vertical bolt mechanism. There is also a screw in the door side/end that seems to push against the lock barrel, but otherwise has no obvious function.

I've even taken the door off the tracks to examine - but no wiser on how to dismantle or repair it.

Cheers
Alan

alanjacobs
Apprentice
Apprentice

sort of resolved

Post by alanjacobs » Fri May 29, 2009 12:17 pm

Never mind ... after much jiggling and spraying of wd40 I've managed to get the stupid lock to work enough to at least close and lock the door. Its still extremely stiff, but rather than tinker I think I'll leave it closed until I can get a complete replacement door ordered.

Sorry to bother you.

Cheers
Alan

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:50 am