Am I a Scapegoat in Deeply Inconsistent Planning Approach?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
Dobbsy
Labourer
Labourer

Am I a Scapegoat in Deeply Inconsistent Planning Approach?

Post by Dobbsy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:08 pm

I recently applied for retrospective planning permission for a new fence bordering my property on a housing estate. The 6ft high fence borders a pavement and road on the estate. I have just been informed that the application has been refused because of an existing planning policy encouraging an 'open plan' estate. And now I face having to take down the fence. I do understand this. But there are a large number of homes on the same estate which have similarly erected fences up to 6ft high bordering roads and pavements - and the planning authority have taken no action over these. It appears I am the only resident who has been asked to submit a planning application for a fence following the receipt of a complaint about it being erected. The town council were in favour of our application and no objections were made by the highways authority. No-one else seems to have been challenged on putting up a fence - and some of the fences on the estate have been in place for years. It feels as if I am being unfairly singled-out over a planning breach. A cart and horse has been driven through the 'open plan' policy by so many on the estate and I appear to be the scape-goat. I was not aware of this policy when I put up the fence but realise that ignorance is no defence. However, the council seem to be following a deeply inconsistent approach to the policy. Can anything be done about this? Should I appeal against the decision?

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1