Am I Dense? Stumped by Description of Tools on Retailers Sites
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jamie86
Apprentice
Apprentice

Am I Dense? Stumped by Description of Tools on Retailers Sites

by jamie86 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:05 pm

I have honestly no idea what this means. Keep seeing it on chisel and crowbar tool descriptions, the biggest offender being Toolbank (not helped by their already terrible category system!).

Here is an example of what I mean, on the similarly perplexing 'handy bar' (isn't this just a utility bar.). Picture is attached:

'The Handy Bar is forged half round, for added strength and less weight.'

Sounds great.... no idea what it means!!!

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Am I Dense? Stumped by Description of Tools on Retailers Sites

by proptech » Thu May 29, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi jamie86

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean either. Can I suggest you forget the Toolbank site, they're not so good these days, and go to Axminster Tool Centre.
Then come back with the actual words you are having problems with.
I do understand that some of these engineering terms can often be confusing, and sometimes downright misleading.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri May 30, 2014 9:18 am

Hi Jamie,

Half round means what it says really. It has one flat side and a round side, like half a circle. This make the bar stronger as a flat section combined with a round section is stronger than a complete rectangular section and also stronger than a round section, or tube shape.

Because, effectively half the steel is missing, it is lighter than an ordinary crowbar allowing the user to work for longer in a demolition situation and to allow those who are not used to working with such tools to find it easier.

The Toolbank categories are pretty simple to understand from a trade perspective. They follow a logical sequence which tradesmen would follow looking for tools. Admittedly this does not make it dead easy for the home improver or handyman to follow and this is why DIY Doctor are introducing category pages into their shop. These category pages ( Example https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superst ... /saws.html ) show the user exactly which type of tool they need for each job, as do our videos which are placed next to each tool.

Every supplier, Axminster, Toolmart, Toolstaton, Screwfix etc have their drawbacks but Toolbank, and those sites who use them, at least deal with trade qulity tools so the user is not let down with shoddy products. Estwing are a premier supplier to the trade for hammers and bars so worth looking a little harder for, I hope this clarifies the position for you. By the way your image failed to upload on DIY Doctor and I note, the ultimate handmans site where you also posted
Attachments
handy bar.jpg
handy bar.jpg (25.19 KiB) Viewed 2660 times

jamie86
Apprentice
Apprentice

by jamie86 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:06 pm

thank you very much, really helpful to finally know what I'm looking at :))

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:30 am