am i worrying to much about badly fitted windows?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mattadamson
Labourer
Labourer

am i worrying to much about badly fitted windows?

by mattadamson » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:04 am

bit of an odd one here, I recently had some new windows fitted by a large well known company and I just don’t feel comfortable with giving them the final payment as I don’t trust the company or the install, If it were possible I would have them remove their windows and I would love to use anyone else to replace them.
Firstly I must say I hate moaning customers that have unreasonable requests/demands.
So im embarrassed to say I have a huge list of complaints and want to know if im worrying about a rough install which may be the norm,

Should I worry about:
losing a layer of brick work under the new bay window, about 1 inch of the window all the way from end to end not being supported.
Lintel being knocked out by an inch above a new window,
windows that when open fully close half way by them self’s,
the little drain plugs at the base of the window not fitted,
broken glass left in the house after install (many bits at least a few inches long),
trim being fitted around some windows but not all even the same type next to each other.
Unusually large amount of brick dust left inside the sliding bits in the window frame where the plastic runners slide up and down to open and close the window.
Screws fixing the windows to the house not flush, most are big enough to get your finger between the crew head and the frame,
Expanding foam around the windows splattered on the windows, some missing in places and lots hanging out in other (I can cut off the excess my self but kind of expected this finish to be part of install)
3 day install took just over a day.

Some of these issues have been fixed on the second visit but I just don’t trust them at all, how can i?

Is this normal? I have to ask because I feel like I have really had the mick taken by what I thought was a large recognised company, I sure they will fix all the problems soon but would you trust a company who has done all this in the space of one install on a small semi?

Please comment as I may be worrying about what could be the norm across the industry, I just don’t know what to make of it all….

Losing hair and a good nights sleep, Matt :oops: :?: :!: :?:

allan the locksmith
Tradesman
Tradesman

by allan the locksmith » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:50 pm

Ask them to rectify all the points you raised and only once satisfied then you will pay them. Mention you almost cut yourself on the glass they left behind and you feel it is a health and safety issue.
If they wont finish the work properly ask trading standards and even building control to take a look before final payment. Are they a fensa registered company ?
Building control will tell you if its a good job or not but may also mean you have to sort he problems to keep the inspector happy which is their job.

The frame fixing screws should be fixed in deeper than what you mentioned.

Its your money if you are not happy tell them and get them to put it right or seek help with those mentioned above.

mattadamson
Labourer
Labourer

by mattadamson » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:52 pm

Hey Allan,

thanks for the comments, great idea about building control, that would certainly set my mind at ease.
as you can see, with so many problem it makes you wonder about the whole job.
they are Fensa registered so if all else fails i'll have a word.

i'll call building control :)

cheers

a6windows
Apprentice
Apprentice

by a6windows » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:29 pm

it seems like you have problems both with the actual measuring up of your job and the fitting of the work .building control may charge for a visit but would be worth your expense .with hold monies until you are satisfied

rose
Ganger
Ganger

by rose » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:17 pm

we are having double glazing fitted and the company insisted they wanted half money upfront other half on completion...go away....we went to the factory to see where they were making the windows to make sure we were getting what they said. Put deposit down they are coming to fit and we sed they get rest of money on satisfactory completion....
you have to be very firm with some of the companies out there as afterall it is your hard earned money you are spending and they make these windows for next to nothing...good luck

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

widow fitting

by welsh brickie » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:21 am

I suggest having a friend with you when confronting these people its always intimidating when having to complain to a company, take photos of the work, with all window and door fitting all companies have to be fensa registered this does not mean a code of working practice that ensures the quality of the work installed,infact anybody can become fensa registered.
If you want quality work done recommendations are really the best way to go.
Do not pay this company the final payment the windows have not been measured correctly and will not stand the test of time,
Threaten this company with an independant VEKA inspection of the work they will have to back down.
VEKA is a code of practice that sets guidelines for this industry and will provide a detailed report for any installation.

whitehart
Apprentice
Apprentice

by whitehart » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:55 pm

My parents have had problems too with an
installation, only they have paid the full amount.

they had front and back doors fitted and there are numerous
problems, the frames have packers down one side,
there is wider gap on one side, now they have an adjacent pantry
door to the back door in which i believe they should have but surely
not on the front door where there is no adjacent door.

when the back door is pulled too there is a clear gap at the top
and no gap at the bottom and you can clearly hear a scraping noise
where a security bolt slides into the frame.

someone has mentioned calling building control, would that be within
our local council??

whitehart
Apprentice
Apprentice

by whitehart » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:29 pm

My parents have had problems too with an
installation, only they have paid the full amount.

they had front and back doors fitted and there are numerous
problems, the frames have packers down one side,
there is wider gap on one side, now they have an adjacent pantry
door to the back door in which i believe they should have but surely
not on the front door where there is no adjacent door.

when the back door is pulled too there is a clear gap at the top
and no gap at the bottom and you can clearly hear a scraping noise
where a security bolt slides into the frame.

someone has mentioned calling building control, would that be within
our local council??

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:35 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:53 pm