Another Garage Electrics
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RGMecheng
Labourer
Labourer

Another Garage Electrics

Post by RGMecheng » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:45 pm

I am concerned about the wiring to and within my garage after reading this forum, as to whether I am within the current regulations particularly as we intend moving in the near future. Would therefore appreciate some advice.

The power supply to the garage is a spur off the house power circuit (30A), the 2.5mm sq cable is routed under the patio in 20mm plastic conduit and connected within garage to an old type brown Wylex consumer unit with 1 x 15A & 5A fuse. 15A feeds a double power socket, 5A feeds a 2 x fluorescent strip light and an outside security light via a fused outlet (5A). Apart from the security light the system is as per the previous owner.
Secondly I would like to fit a modern RCD protected garage consumer unit, can I do this myself?
The house was built in 1972 and has original brown Wylex consumer unit with old type wired fuses. Third question can I replace the old fuses with Wylex type B plug-in MCB’s.
Thanks for any help.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:13 pm

sounds ok set up but No u can't legally change CU yourself but u can fit MCB's as u suggest, if only 1 double socket u could change it for an RCD switch socket as lights don't need RCD,
regards SPARX

RGMecheng
Labourer
Labourer

Post by RGMecheng » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:52 pm

Thanks sparx for responce am relieved system is ok, assume I can change the double switch socket for an RCD type myself.
Re the plug-in MCB's guess these will project further away from the CU and existing cover will not fit, is that ok.
Thanks again.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:00 pm

yes as only changing 'accessory' u can do yourself as no wiring changes reqd.
look at the cover , hold up to light if CU not too old most wylex covers have Break-out section in the middle, if u tap around thin line the main centre section will fall out, a bit of filing of the rough edges is reqd but it will then fit over/around MCB's, maintaining protection,
Regards SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:39 am