Any advice - roof or render?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jeff.craft@tesco.net
Labourer
Labourer

Any advice - roof or render?

by jeff.craft@tesco.net » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:04 pm

Water is coming through the grout joints in the bathroom leading to blown plaster and loose tiles 2/3 up the wall, same height as window seal.

House is in Rickmansworth, 1930's detatched, solid wall, rendered, weathershielded 2 years ago, with new aluminium windows

Chimney stack was removed 2 years ago and damp was present before this date, roof has been checked, patched 3 times, felted and loft inspected - still no fix - roofer has suggested new roof!

Building surveyor has stated not a roof problem but cannot identify solution. Has suggested sealing air brick and filling cracks on external wall.

Who would I ask to fill cracks on external wall - general builder ? and of course what specification of work should I request ?

essmbee
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Any advice - roof or render?

by essmbee » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:28 am

[quote="jeff.craft@tesco.net"]Water is coming through the grout joints in the bathroom leading to blown plaster and loose tiles 2/3 up the wall, same height as window seal.

House is in Rickmansworth, 1930's detatched, solid wall, rendered, weathershielded 2 years ago, with new aluminium windows

Chimney stack was removed 2 years ago and damp was present before this date, roof has been checked, patched 3 times, felted and loft inspected - still no fix - roofer has suggested new roof!

Building surveyor has stated not a roof problem but cannot identify solution. Has suggested sealing air brick and filling cracks on external wall.

Who would I ask to fill cracks on external wall - general builder ? and of course what specification of work should I request ?[/quote]What material is the house built with and what way was the window sealed ? Aluminium can create condensation because they are an alloy metal. if there are cracks in the external walls it suggests that water is seeping through these and if the walls have been rendered with a sand cement based render then the cracks will let the water in but as the water travels down (gravity) it won't let it back out. What you may need is a traditional lime render which allows the walls to breath. If there is sandstone in the building, it will soak up any moisture present and this could also cause your problem.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:18 pm