Any Alternatives to Using Concrete Base for conservatory?
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
samfin
Labourer
Labourer

Any Alternatives to Using Concrete Base for conservatory?

by samfin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi,
I was given a upvc conservatory (still wrapped, never put up). It's a lean to, full upvc panels (no dwarf wall needed) and will have an osb board roof (covered with felt). Its around 4 metres wide by under 3 metres deep.

The issue I have is the base. Seeing as this was supposed to be a cheap project, I'm quite shocked as to how much I worked out that a concrete base is going to cost me. I got quotes for having it poured and that was far too much so I looked at doing it myself using a friend and his cement mixer, I worked this out using online calculators, then looked at the prices in local big DIY stores (smaller local merchants seem to be more expensive). but it still seems a lot.

Is there a cheaper alternative to a concrete base? (seeing as I don't need a dwarf wall). If not what is the cheapest way to build a concrete base (ground is quite firm). What is the minimum I could realistically get away with? (I don't care how it looks as there with be a laminate floor hiding anything ugly).

Thanks in advance for your help.

samfin
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Any Alternatives to Using Concrete Base for conservatory?

by samfin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:32 pm

I forgot to add, garden is VERY sheltered by very high thick hedges on all sides, we get virtually no wind in the back garden even during gale force winds, we have a large trampoline with one of those high flimsy rain covers over and during all the high winds over the last 3 years, it's never moved, (the cover isn't even tied on, you can pull it off with one hand). So the wind taking the conservatory shouldn't be a problem.

michaelbailey
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Any Alternatives to Using Concrete Base for conservatory?

by michaelbailey » Sun May 17, 2015 1:00 pm

175x50mm joists@600mm centres on joist hangars
you will need to lay a screed of about 75 to50mm on dpm lapped into the dpc to stop rising damp the joists need to be150mm above the screed insulation on chicken wire between the joists . This way is better for installing services

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:15 am