Anyone Know How to Change This Type of Lightbulb?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lightbulbloser
Labourer
Labourer

Anyone Know How to Change This Type of Lightbulb?

by lightbulbloser » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:03 pm

Hello!

Three spotlight light bulbs went off in my bathroom and I have no idea how to change them. I went through so many YouTube videos but my light bulbs don't seem to match any of the ones I've seen (e.g. no clips or rings around them to hold them in place). I have attached an image of what my light bulbs look like.

Hope you can help me out! The letting agents told me it's my responsibility to change them. Several of those bulbs in the apartment had already gone off before I even moved in. It is very annoying.
Attachments
Optimized-20180203_161808 (1).jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Anyone Know How to Change This Type of Lightbulb?

by Mr White » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:59 pm

Looks like its a GU10 lamp. Get a "sucker" put it on the lamp push upward and twist.
By sucker I literally mean a sucker that you stick onto your fridge to hold a towel (Sucker, not magnet)

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:45 am

There are two types of MR16 lamps, 12 volt G5.3 where there are pins and normally a split ring holding them in place, and 230 volt GU10 which is a bayonet fitting so you turn anti-clockwise normally about 10 degs and then it drops out, some times you can get enough friction with your thumbs to turn them, but there is a rubber sucker that comes with the lamps to help grip and turn them.

Google "gu10 removal tool" and I found a range from 30p to £3 the 30p one was shown on tlc-direct.co.uk web site order code GU RS and called "GU10 Halogen Lamp Removal Sucker" they have worked OK for me.

If GU10 then the LED version is a simple plug in, B&M is where I got them, around £4 for 2 at 4.8W which is likely a little on the large size Lidi is the other place for cheap LED, you need at least 3W but as you go larger the surface area is reduced as it then needs cooling fins, so unless they are aimed at something white to bounce the light although it may have the lumen output, they tend not to light the room well.

Since going to LED not had one fail, and all cheap not expensive ones, since rented you have little option, but they are very poor at lighting a room. My son has 4 x 7.5W LED in his kitchen, that's around 2800 lumen and his kitchen is very small, I needed a touch to read pressure gauge on his central heating boiler, my kitchen over twice the size, has one LED replacement for a fluorescent tube, 28W and 2800 lumen and the room is really bright, the little spots are more suited for a planetarium than lighting a room.

So I would not buy all at the same time, try 3W and see what you think, if not bright enough around 7.5W is the maximum for GU10 but in real terms not much extra light as more room given to cooling fins.

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

by chriscba » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:14 pm

It should be held in by two spring clips, carefully pull the fitting out of the recess & you will be able to change the lamp.

aleco135
Apprentice
Apprentice

by aleco135 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Hello,
If you hold the face of the bulb with your thumbs ( you can get a special tool, which is a little sucker type device which sticks to the bulb) and twist anti clock wise. It will only need to turn about a quarter of a turn then it can be removed. To fit a new bulb just do the reverse.
Good luck.
aleco

lightbulbloser
Labourer
Labourer

by lightbulbloser » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:25 pm

Thank you everyone!!! Very helpful responses!!! I really appreciate it and I hope I manage to solve the issue. Two little blue lights are fitted under my bathroom mirror so now the bathroom looks like some sort of spacecraft. Looking forward to having it fully lighted again :)

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:16 pm