Applience on a switched fused spur
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

Applience on a switched fused spur

by russellfl » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:12 pm

Hi,, can anyone tell me if it is ok to connect an applience (fridge) to a switched fused spur? ie hard wire into the socket? I had an oil boiler fitted recently and the engineer told me it had to be plugged into a normal three pin socket. is this the case now for all appliences?

Cheers

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:16 pm

There is nothing wrong with using a fused spur in fact for high power items like an immersion heater or oven they are far better than a plug. Normally would use a switched fuse spur.

However some tradesman seem not to understand Part P and think if it is plugged in then they don't have to notify the LABC of the work completed.

As it stands if you have an extension lead used in the kitchen it does not require Part P notification. However if you nail in a few cable clips to keep cable out of harms way then it is fixed so you have to notify the LABC and pay their £100+ fee. Yes I know it is crazy but it is still law. The Labour party passed a number of silly laws when they were in power. As yet this one has not been altered.

The idea of Part P was good but the way it has been done was wrong. We all realise bathrooms, and outside are dangerous because of water but I am unaware why an utility room does not need Part P with large sinks for washing cloths but add a food preparation area and it needs Part P.

Part P only applies to fixed so a central heating boiler is fixed to wall so comes under Part P. However my sons narrow boat does not require Part P even though the whole thing is in water as it is not a building and building regulations only apply to buildings.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:53 am