Apprenticeship vs. Adult Trainee Route
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rossp132
Labourer
Labourer

Apprenticeship vs. Adult Trainee Route

Post by rossp132 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:37 pm

Hello,

I am an educated 23 year old who is trying to become qualified as an Electrician following the recognised G&G 2330 with NVQ 3 route. Given this I have identified 2 possible routes:

Option 1: Adult Trainee Route
Attend college either part time or full time to study for 2330 levels 2 & 3, meanwhile attempt to gain a position as an adult trainee.
OR
Option 2: Apprenticeship
Apply through JTL(or other) for an advanced apprenticeship(accepting possible funding contributions required) and find a position as an apprentice.

If I am honest I would prefer the adult trainee route, so that I am not at college with 16-18 year olds.

I just have a couple of quick questions to put to all experienced electricians.

1) Given my situation what advice could you offer to someone attempting to enter the trade along with your experiences and opinions on the 2 routes I have outlined above, and advantages/disadvantages of one against the other.

2) Are there many positions for hard working individuals with established electricians as both adult trainees or apprentices, or is it as doom and gloom as some people suggest on forums. If there are still positions, is there a particular time of year when electricians look for apprentices/adult trainees, or a particular place/way that they advertise.

3) With regards to searching for a position, I have already considered the obvious contacting/writing to all electricians and following it up with a phone call, but what advice would you give to someone in my position on making my application stand out and putting across my enthusiasm. I ask this becasue I feel having had positive responses from previous employers that once I was taken on my attitude would demonstrate my commitment to the training and given time offer a lot back to the employer, the hard part would be in getting my foot in the door in the first palce.

4) I have seen it has been suggested that some agencies offer more construction jobs, I have found several but can you suggest an agency with a large electrical client base based in York/North Yorkshire, that might provide an electricians mate/adult trainee route position?

Thanks Again
Ross

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:03 pm

Hi your age will determine this as if over certain age[21?] apprenticeship not possible, hence introduction of 'adult trainee', local tech. col. should advise
regards SPARX

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:42 pm

Hi Ross, we get several letters a month from locals who have done 2330 for 2 years but need work placement to do final year and it's heart-breaking not to be able to help!
I used to lecture @ local tech 2330 upto lvl 2 so have seen the other side too, unfortunately small companies / sole traders ect. cannot risk taking somebody on as :
1]no financial help at all!
2]social charter means we have to give instant holiday pay, possible 'paternity leave', sick pay from day one , none of which do we ourselves get!
3]If no work one day we can do something at home/office, but still got to pay trainees.
Sorry to sound negative but there is not as much work about as people would have you believe, I have more than I need but not enough to risk any more people 'on books'.
Larger firms are best bet, ECA member companies tend to be larger than average, best of luck, it's a good trade once in it fully, [gas fitters make more dosh]!
regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:57 am