Are Crossties Still Needed - Can I Move Crossties Closer to Roof Peak?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
drumz
Labourer
Labourer

Are Crossties Still Needed - Can I Move Crossties Closer to Roof Peak?

by drumz » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:13 pm

I have a pole barn (24Lx14Wx20H) that I just put a loft in that covers the back half of the garage. At the top of the walls where the rafters intersect there are 2x6's crossties set at every other rafter which are 24" OC - so the crossties are every 4 feet.
My question is, can I move the ones that are over the loft up closer to the roof peak?
The cross-ties are there for 2 reasons, to keep the walls from falling out and the roof from collapsing in and since one of those needs has been eliminated because the loft now holds the walls together, is there a reason I can't move them up and make them 5-6 feet long to support the pitch of the rafters?
Thanks in advance for your time.

thedoctor

Re: Are Crossties Still Needed - Can I Move Crossties Closer to Roof Peak?

by thedoctor » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi,

The roof truss does not hold the walls together,Every truss is designed s that the weight of the roof is transferred directly down onto the externalload bearing walls.This ensures that the entire weight of the building is transferred directly down to the foundations. The loft is not holding your walls together. There willbe ties from the new joists to the walls but this is to stop slip, not preven the walls from crashing down.

In short you should never move, or remove any part of a roof truss without being abulotely positive that the new "design" willcontinue to transfer the weight of the roof to the external (or sometimes internal) load bearing walls.

These "cross ties" or collar ties are usually set at one-third down of the length of the upper chords of the truss (the main sloping parts of the truss) this ensures the chords do not sag.Moving them up will weaken the chords and potentially lead to roof sag.

drumz
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Are Crossties Still Needed - Can I Move Crossties Closer to Roof Peak?

by drumz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:48 pm

Thanks, but I said to keep the walls from falling out, not down. The cross-ties help keep the walls perpendicular is what I meant and more towards the middle then the ends since the corners hold them there...
A builder friend is coming over and I suspect he will say I can move the rafter cross-ties up but I should double them, one on each side of the rafter.
Thanks for your input!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:59 am