Are Natural Stone Effect Tiles Suitable for use on Wetroom Wall?
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
EarlTgrey
Labourer
Labourer

Are Natural Stone Effect Tiles Suitable for use on Wetroom Wall?

by EarlTgrey » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:41 am

I have 'ceramic natural stone effect' wall/floor tiles originally from Wickes which seem to have a hard glazed surface. 360x275x9mm. Their boxes show a tick for bathroom use but a cross for wet rooms and exterior use. I would like if at all possible to use them for the walls of a small wet room to go with the rest of the bathroom.Could It be that they are unsuitable for wet room floors but ok for wet room walls? Could I treat them in any way to make them suitable for the wet room either before or after tiling?

EarlTgrey
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Are Natural Stone Effect Tiles Suitable for use on Wetroom Wall?

by EarlTgrey » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:43 am

Here I am answering my own query for the benefit of anyone interested. These tiles are shown as unsuitable for wet rooms for one reason only: they are highly polished and may be slippery underfoot when wet. They are fine for wet room or shower walls but not floors, so to make sure that they cannot be held liable if someone slips over and rams the bog brush up their back end the producers recommend them not to be used in wet rooms at all. Also explains why you see tiles displayed in diy outlets as OK for showers but not wet rooms. This simple information has been incredibly difficult to discover. The retailers helpline did not know, information desks in stores don't know and so far no one who knows has answered this post. I found out by phoning tile manufacturers until I got a helpful customer service centre, coincidentally the excellent Johnsons Tiles who actually made the ones I had, took the serial number on the packing and specifically checked that single tile. Eureka. Joy.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:28 pm