Are the Valspar Paint Smell Problems Resolved?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

becky_jo
Labourer
Labourer

Are the Valspar Paint Smell Problems Resolved?

by becky_jo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Hello all,

This morning I went to buy some paint from B&Q for a little self-catering apartment we are about to decorate. I had in mind the two Farrow & Ball colours I wanted, but slightly sweating on my way there at the prospect of how much it was all going to cost (several gallons of emulsion and eggshell...)

They didn't quite have all the volume I needed, so the girl suggested doing a colour match with Valspar. Less than half the price, with a chalky finish, very high colour accuracy, apparently good for wiping down, and the issues with odours have apparently now been resolved, child-safe - what's not to love?!

Coming home I've googled Valspar and I'm seeing all sorts of reviews and news articles about ammonia 'cat urine' smells, migraines, people unable to sleep in their newly-painted bedrooms, etc. Now I don't know what to do :(

Has anyone had recent experience of the paint that suggests they have actually resolved these issues? Just opened my tins and they smell of paint, but not particularly ammonia-like...

Thanks in advance,
Becky

It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:23 am