Are there any bath shower mixers to fit old bath??
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Pennyless Beauty
Labourer
Labourer

by Pennyless Beauty » Wed May 13, 2009 1:30 pm

I have a 1930s enamel bath with the original taps and would like to replace them with a bath shower mixer. The problem seems to be the tap holes are 8" (21cm) middle to middle and all standard mixers are 18cm.
Does anyone produce them for old baths or is my only choice to fit new separate taps and have a naff plastic shower attachment? Eugh...
Any advice would be greatly appreciated thankyou!

PS what's the best way to treat damage to the enamel from the dripping taps (2 patches of 2cm x 10cm)? Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed May 13, 2009 10:36 pm

Pennyless Beauty,
Buy a double swan neck bath mixer - these can be adjusted for hole centres.
end

Pennyless Beauty
Labourer
Labourer

by Pennyless Beauty » Thu May 14, 2009 10:46 am

Thanks Stoneyboy!

Does the swan neck bath mixer come with a shower attachment? I was originally after the old style traditionaltaps with a cradle for the shower head...

You've been a big help already tho thanks!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu May 14, 2009 9:44 pm

Pennyless Beauty,
Yes they come with a cradle for the shower head.
end

jrexeter
Labourer
Labourer

by jrexeter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:34 pm

I have the same problem - I need a wall-mounted bath shower mixer with an inlet pipe distance of 20cm.

I have searched on the internet for "double swan neck" as suggested by stoneboy, but have not found anything.

The only suitable sounding mixer I have found is in the US, a Kingston Brass KS26.

Google "fixtureuniverse.com/tub-spouts-and-systems/kingston-brass-ks26-kingston-tub-spouts-and-system_829173.html?af=527"

Can anyone point me to something similar, available in the UK?

Thanks.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:02 pm

I think probably the reason you are having difficulty finding anything like the BSM that jrexeter is referring to is because it is impractical.

That mixer will protrude into the bath by about a foot and given that old cast baths are usually shorter it will look ugly and may cause injury.

jrexeter
Labourer
Labourer

by jrexeter » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Plumbbob - Thanks very much for your comments. I appreciate your taking the time to help me.

I can see that having a "double swan neck" on the inlets, the mixer will project out into the bath, and as you say will probably not be practical. (The length of the bath is not actually a problem, as it is a 6ft bath, but safety would be an issue.)

Having said that, I still can't find anywhere in the UK a wall-mounted bath shower mixer of any description (traditional, modern, designer etc) that can accommodate a 20 cm (~8") inlet pipe distance. The only one I have found is the Kingston Brass KS26, which only seems to be available in the US.

The bath currently has two separate taps, to which I have attached a flimsy rubber shower attachment. I am keen to exchange this for a decent permanent mixer. Do you think I have any chance of finding something suitable? Or alternatively is there anything that I could use instead of the "double swan neck" to adjust the pipe distance?

Thanks again for your help.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:28 am

be wary of importing plumbing supplies from abroad, especially US as they are manufactured to different standards and are employed on different system setups. be sure that what you buy will be compatible. this will save you money and hopefully ensure your safety.

jrexeter
Labourer
Labourer

by jrexeter » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:09 am

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't be confident enough that the specifications would match, so won't be tempted to buy from the US even if I can't find anything else. If it didn't work then I'd be stuck with it - wouldn't be worth the shipping cost to send it back!

The lack of positive replies seems to suggest that I'm not likely to find anything suitable in the UK. Unless anyone else knows different? Looking for a wall-mounted bath shower mixer with 20cm inlet pipe separation.

Thanks.

mike1984
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mike1984 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:45 am

I have the same problem also.

Thanks for the information.

I was starting to think I would need to rip the bath out and start from scratch :-)

jrexeter
Labourer
Labourer

by jrexeter » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:00 pm

Mike1984

Glad to hear someone else is having the same problem.

I have just found a bath filler with a separation of 200mm, sold by Perrin and Rowe, and am awaiting a reply to learn if they make a similar bath shower mixer. However I am guessing that the price will be rather out of my budget, based on other products that the same company sells. They don't show prices on this site.

Google "triflowconcepts.com/perrin-and-rowe/product/view/131/Bath-Filler-with-Crosshead-Handles-and-Wall-Unions"

"Specification details" at the bottom of the page shows that the pipe separation is 200mm.

I'm very keen to know if there are any others.

mike1984
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mike1984 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:41 am

Perrin & Rowe have some very nice stuff but yes they are a little pricey. Suppose you only get what you pay for though

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 am