Artex ceiling - Advice needed!
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Walton
Labourer
Labourer

Artex ceiling - Advice needed!

Post by Walton » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:02 am

Hi there, complete DIY virgin here, so be gentle...

We're currently having a new kitchen and bathroom fitted into out flat, which has required a wall (between our old kitchen and bathroom) being knocked down to create a larger kitchen. The ceilings in what were the old kitchen and bathroom have different artexing and thus look silly. Our builders weren't asked to do anything about this and have already fitted real wood flooring and the kitchen, thus making ceiling works a bit tricky with regards potential damage etc.

My query is this - how easy would it be for me to get rid of the artexing already present and maybe just flat plaster the whole ceiling so it's all the same. I'm dubious about getting folk in to do it what with a totally new kitchen etc. At least if i did it myself, i could make sure nothing was damaged...

What does everyone think...?

Cheers
W

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:03 pm

See the DIY projects section. Artex removal and replastering

tubbs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by tubbs » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:17 pm

if you're not a competent plasterer dont try yourself. get a least 3 quotes
for the work remember the cheapest is not always best. ask for references and contact some past customers if in doubt. a good tradesman will cover all surfaces with dust sheeting, you could always cover work tops and floor with cardboard. dont let them tell you all the old artex needs stripping first as this can be plastered direct after a coat of pva glue. one last thing make sure they are fully insured at least if the worst happens and something is damaged you'll be covered

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:15 am