Attaching a Garage to a House - Do I Need Planning Permission?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GrumpyMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

Attaching a Garage to a House - Do I Need Planning Permission?

by GrumpyMike » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:30 pm

Hi,

I have an existing double length garage/workshop/utility room next to my house.
Currently this building is a separate structure, with an alleyway (about a yard wide) between it and the house.

I'd like to extend the garage roof over the alley and attach it to the main house, and knock down the wall of the garage to make the garage about a yard wider, and prevent me from getting wet if I have to go to garage when it rains!

The garage is a single story, flat roofed building with no windows, the house has no windows on the side that's next to the garage. The house already has a door that opens onto the alley between the house and the garage.

The garage/workshop would remain a garage, so there's no change of purpose, the only difference is that it would be attached to the house rather than being a free-standing structure. Do I need planning permission?

Thanks

DIYDoctor1
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Attaching a Garage to a House - Do I Need Planning Permission?

by DIYDoctor1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:46 am

Hi GrumpyMike,
It doesn't sound like you will need planning permission, but this assumes that you're in in a conservation area, you roof will be less than 2.5m high, etc. Have a look at the guidelines on the planning portal: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permis ... buildings/

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1