Attaching a stud wall top plate to RSJ
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stu73
Labourer
Labourer

Attaching a stud wall top plate to RSJ

by stu73 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:03 pm

Hello

I need to construct some extensive, but not load bearing, stud walls in our workshop. Trouble is, the mezzanine against which I want to secure the top plate is a steel girder construction, approx 3 metres off the ground.

I'm guessing it will affect the integrity of the steel if I drill it and simply bolt the top plate to the bottom chord with, say, an M8 bolt. Is there an established fixing that could be secured to the top of the top plate and simply stop it shifting back and forth, with just tight fitting studs holding the top plate in place.

The mezzanine is well supported,and the loads it bears will be minimal-all the lathes and heavy plant are downstairs on concrete.
Any ideas?
Many thanks

Stuart

stubbyray@tiscali.co.uk

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:30 am

Apply gripfill (See our project on adhesives used at home) to the underside of the girder and wedge the top plate up tight with studs. Drill through the timber and the girder with a bit large or indeed small enough to screw self tappers in at 500mm centres to be absolutely sure of no sideways movement (accidental knocks with a forklift ?). The Gripfil will be enough on its own as it is incredibly strong but belt and braces will not hurt.

Kain
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Kain » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:23 pm

Hi,

Forget "grip-fill" and drilling holes. Go and hire a hilti or spit nail gun and fix using one of these. You wont fix timber to steel any faster that shooting a nail into it at the speed of a bullet.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:47 pm