Attic Room Insulation Question
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Thingfish
Labourer
Labourer

Attic Room Insulation Question

by Thingfish » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:59 pm

Hi Folks

In the top of our house we have some rooms that I guess could be called attic rooms. They have sloping ceilings about 8 inches below the exterior roof tiles. I have no idea whether or how well insulated this roof area is or even how well insulated it can be. It is, I guess, at least potentially, loosing me loads of money in heating bills for roof birds.

Question is, how do I figure out what (if any) insulation is already in place there and what is the best way to go about insulating these areas.

I figure dropping the ceiling merely to find out what’s there is (hopefully) over the top.

Any Suggestions or advice?

Thanks
Mark

eljaybee
Ganger
Ganger

by eljaybee » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:35 am

With some roof you can get into the area down by the eaves and then it's a case of getting your hand if you can into the space of the sloping area. The only other way is a Surveyor with an endoscope (you know the long thin cameras similar to those the hospital stick down peoples throats). Otherwise then it's creating a hole in the boarding to look through.

InsulationBloke
Labourer
Labourer

Loft

by InsulationBloke » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:44 pm

you could line it with a insulated plasterboard, save you ripping it down and would only add to any insulation behind the board.

The equipment needed to see behind is a boroScope, as Usedto be an Insulation inspector.

Cheers

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:42 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:13 pm