Axial or Centrifugal Fan for Flat Bathroom
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
u0362565
Apprentice
Apprentice

Axial or Centrifugal Fan for Flat Bathroom

by u0362565 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:39 pm

Hi all,

I've got what I think is a very cheap axial fan (newlec) mounted by the door of the bathroom which i've heard is the wrong place to mount a fan but anyway. The fan connects to ducting (looks like inflexible rigid plastic pipe perhaps 15cm in diameter that is vertical for maybe 30cm above the fan into the roof space then turns 90 degrees and runs parallel above the ceiling to another axial fan in the kitchen then vents to the exterior wall. I'd estimate the length of ducting to be several metres must be about 5m and the bathroom fan at least has very little suction. It can suck and hold a piece of toilet paper to it when the paper is held 1-2cms below it. I assume this is pretty lame? So getting to the point based on the setup I've described would I benefit from a centrifugal fan? Currently the fan turns on with the light and I feel like it's almost pointless having it and it's not super quiet. I'm not an electrician but have some electrics knowledge because any bathroom work is notifiable to the buildings control officer I assume I shouldn't tackle this myself? It may depend if I can remove and replace with no changes to the wiring.

Thanks for the help!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Axial or Centrifugal Fan for Flat Bathroom

by kbrownie » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:08 pm

A decent in-line fan would be the best solution.
And obviously relocating the position away from and opposite the door would deal better with humidity/condensation and air changes.

Not all bathroom electrics require notification, it would be sensible to have the electrical inspected/tested and results documented via a minor works cert, but notification would depend on which part of the UK the location of work is and whether the electrical work is within a bathroom zone. As the fan is ceiling mounted there is a fair chance of this being outside a bathroom zone, if the height of the ceiling from finished floor exceeds 2.25m.

u0362565
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Axial or Centrifugal Fan for Flat Bathroom

by u0362565 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:27 pm

Thanks for the info. That's interesting what's regarded as a bathroom zone, not measured how high the ceiling is yet.

I think an inline fan would be difficult for me to fit as I understand they fit between segments of duct and I don't have easy access into the roof space. But now that I know how much centrifugal fans weigh I'm having second thoughts, they can be over 2kg! Would perhaps have to secure it to the joists with a panel.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1