back boiler---updating???
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stevjoe
Labourer
Labourer

back boiler---updating???

by stevjoe » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:10 pm

hi all. in my house i have a back boiler and gas fire. i think the system is quite old as there is no wall thermostat in the house at all and no thermostat on the tank in the airing cupboard. there are no electric valves in the airing cuboard either as in my previous house.the only control on the heating/hotwater is a very old looking bakelite type timer with a large round clock to set the times. in the summer when the hot water comes on some of the radiators get hot as well. the only way i can control them is to completley shut them off.apart from this the system really does work well and we always have plenty of hot water and the gas bills are no higher than my last house which had a wall new wall mounted boiler. can i get a new timer/controller to rplace the antique on my living room wall and can a thermostat be conected to this. my brother-in-law is an electrician so thats no problem. cheers all.

keitht
Apprentice
Apprentice

by keitht » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:15 pm

yes you can get any clock just may need re wiring which your brother in law can sort. sounds like a very old system and if you dont have a summer valve in your airing cupboard which will be a red handled 22mm gate valve which turns off the rads so you just get your hot water in the summer then thats probably why your radiators get warm in summer.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:38 pm

Assuming you have a pump for central heating and the hot water is thermo siphon then you can get some control. Room thermostats with timers built in are now available and a programmer is basely a fancy timer. But to get full control you will need a motorised valve to turn off the hot water. If I am any where near what you are looking for then read the post on zones and do internet hunt for Honeywell "C" plan.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1