Back boiler vent with a twist question
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dexta211
Labourer
Labourer

Back boiler vent with a twist question

by dexta211 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:34 pm

Hi all,

I'm new here and am looking for a bit of technical advice.

I have a back boiler in my lounge and a vent in my outside wall which lets freezing air in, although i know that the air vent is required to ensure that the back boiler isn't the end of me, i have a scheme which i've been brewing and would like to run past someone who knows about these things.

I am a PC enthusiast and have my mounted on a shelf to keep it away from my son (nearly 2), Sometimes my pc gets very hot from the electric heater which i use to heat the room :-(.... (can ya see where i'm going.....)

My idea,

The vent is 5 inches square which means that about 2 foot square in the corner of the room is freezing and there are draughts a plenty!
I could mount a flexi hose (60mm wide) about 6 inches from the vent which had a 60mm fan drawing the cold air from the area to the innards of my pc (which would then run through the fans & heatsinks inside the PC and be blown out the back a bit warmer!)

So, my question is would this still be safe? The air drawn through the hose would still be available - just a bit warmer, and when my PC was off there would be no difference!

Thanks all, and sorry for the long first post!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:01 pm

I'm very sorry but I dont think that this is a technical issue. However it is rather bizarre !

You need purpose provided ventilation for the gas appliance - and in light of this I think that it would be best to leave it alone!

htg

ps - 5 inches square, the vent is possibly undersized.
Last edited by htg engineer on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1