Back fill via radiator plug aperture
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Spookytooth
Labourer
Labourer

Back fill via radiator plug aperture

by Spookytooth » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:13 pm

I've fitted a new downstairs radiator and both it and the downstairs rad I've "spurred" it off refuse to get hot. The new rad is fitted with a bidirectional TRV. All other rads and hot water work fine, so it seems highly likely I've got an air lock. It's a standard vented system with a fill and expansion tank.

Trying to clear the air lock in the usual way by turning off all other rads doesn't work.

I think I may need to back fill using a hose pipe (acknowledging care needed to ensure adequate F&E overflow arrangements). Unfortunately I didn't fit a lockshield valve with an integral drain cock to the new rad.

My question is this: to save me draining everything down again, is there any easy way to connect a hosepipe to the air locked rad via the radiator plug aperture?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered. Sorry if this has already been answered, but I did do a fairly thorough search.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Back fill via radiator plug aperture

by plumbbob » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:32 pm

Spookytooth wrote:My question is this: to save me draining everything down again, is there any easy way to connect a hosepipe to the air locked rad via the radiator plug aperture?

There are three things to try.

1. Remove the entire bleed valve plug and connect the hose to the top of the radiator. open each valve in turn and force water for a few seconds back into the system.

2. Drain the radiator and disconnect each valve in turn. With a bucket under the pipe, open the valve and the force of water should blow the air from the pipe.

3. As 2, but instead connect the hose to the valve to force the water back.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:38 am