Backing for bathroom vinyl
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RoyG
Tradesman
Tradesman

Backing for bathroom vinyl

by RoyG » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:58 am

I'm in the very early stages of planning an overhaul in the bathroom. I'm considering what to do with the floor. I'm thinking of cushionflo(o)r or similar--a thick vinyl, anyway. The question is, what to lay it on to. I don't want to put it down directly on the floorboards as they're rather uneven.

My first thought was 6mm MDF, well screwed down, but I'm concerned that if any water gets past the vinyl, at the skirting board for instance, it will rot. Is there something else I could consider?

harry69
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Backing for bathroom vinyl

by harry69 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:03 pm

[quote="RoyG"]I'm in the very early stages of planning an overhaul in the bathroom. I'm considering what to do with the floor. I'm thinking of cushionflo(o)r or similar--a thick vinyl, anyway. The question is, what to lay it on to. I don't want to put it down directly on the floorboards as they're rather uneven.

My first thought was 6mm MDF, well screwed down, but I'm concerned that if any water gets past the vinyl, at the skirting board for instance, it will rot. Is there something else I could consider?[/quote]

6mm plyboard is better than mdf, as any moisture would 'blow' mdf as its basically compressed paper..
Use lining paper to create templates and fix it down with ring shank nails 12mm (ish) to avoid pipes, at regular intervals.
Once you have preped the subfloor and fiitted the cusion floor or vinyl .
seal the edges against the skirts and bath/ toilet/pedestal with clear silicone...

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:07 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 am