Bad Cracks on Walls

Postby mitchell » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:06 am

I am in a new house (3 years old) and I am getting round to repainting some of the rooms upstairs which were originally painted by the developers some 3 years ago. I need to know a way of fixing the cracks in the walls/coving so that they never come back. All of the cracks seem to be in the corners where the outer brick wall meets an internal plasterboard wall. Please see picture and suggestions on how I can fix this unsightly issue once and for all.

Many Thanks

Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby Dan the man » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:14 pm

That looks terrible, there must be some movement in the biuilding or the corners havent been taped, assuming the walls have been drylined check the corners and see if you can see a white mesh, if you cant then its not been taped, you could buy fibre tape and run it up the corners and fill over it and sand it down, scrape the exess plaster away from the coving and fill it with caulk too.

If the corners have got mesh in them then you may have a problem with the building.
Dan the man
Progress to next rank:

Postby theshedman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:33 am

Hi, as you say your house is only 3 years old wouldn't it be covered by the NHBC warranty. If it does you could get them to look at it first before you do anything. If not have the internal walls been skimmed or are they just plain plasterboard. As Dan says you should be able to see some type of scrim tape in the corners which is used to stop this from happening. If they have been taped then you could have a problem. Let us know what you find. Shed.
Progress to next rank:

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!