Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
watty_123
Labourer
Labourer

Bad odour coming from drains

by watty_123 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi all,

We have a reoccuring problem with foul smelling drains in the back yard. Its not a constant problem but seems to come around every now and again. There is no pattern to when it smells, ie it doesn't just happen when its been raining or sunny. The smell is coming through the sink and washing machine so can be smelt in the kitchen, although not the bathroom, we have an extension running off the rear of the house with the bathroom and kitchen attached.

We have tried chemical cleaners etc with no joy, it seems to just hide the source of the problem. The drains do not appear to be blocked as they don't overflow, so I don't think it is a blockage causing the problem, i've read it could apparently be a cracked pipe, although I would imagine I would see subsidence or wet ground, we have a paved drive.

Don't really fancy paying dyna rod an extortionist amount as I don't trust them. So not sure if anyone has any ideas?

Cheers

BuyersAssistant
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Bad odour coming from drains

by BuyersAssistant » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi,

Well if the water isn't backing up there isn't a blockage, so shouldn't need DynoRod

Can you ascertain if the smell is coming back up the pipe or from outside somewhere?

Normally there is U-bends creating air locks in the pipes - preventing smells from coming up the pipes.

SOS Plumbing
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Bad odour coming from drains

by SOS Plumbing » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:34 pm

First, make sure you have a proper P-trap installed under the sink. This trap holds water and provides a seal against sewer gases getting up into the bathroom. Without a P-trap, gases will leak in constantly, and will be displaced by water down the drain which can force the gases up into the bathroom even if normally it's not detectable.

Let me know the answer, then we can move on from there.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:06 pm