Badly creaking chipboard flooring
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
waynelozza
Labourer
Labourer

Badly creaking chipboard flooring

by waynelozza » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:27 pm

Can anyone give me a good way to stop chip board flooring from creaking? The boards are full length and go under the walls so i cant just get them up easily. I darent just put more nails in because I dont trust the builders not to have run pipes through - Help

Wayne

tweekie
Labourer
Labourer

by tweekie » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:17 am

Some one once told me to use talcum powder

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:33 am

PLease look at our projects section and go to creaking floors and stairs. You can test for pipes before you start as any builder would do. Also see our project on finding timber joists & studs. Most stud detectors will find pipes and cables also and if you scroll to the botttom of the project you can buy one very cheaply. Please read the project carefully as sometimes it has nothing to do with the amount of nails or screws in the floor.

waynelozza
Labourer
Labourer

Badly creaking floorboards

by waynelozza » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:53 pm

Cheers Tweekie

I had tried the talcum powder bit but that didnt do the trick - it just got me sneezing a lot :lol:

Thanks anyway

Cheers Doctor I will have a look

Thanks

redgate
Labourer
Labourer

Sqweaky laminate floor

by redgate » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:58 pm

I rectified mine by using an old screwdriver and a claw hammer to remove the nails and replace with screws. This solved the problem. Your comment regarding not trusting the builders as to where the pipes are laid is well founded as my floor boards were marked as to where the pipes ran. NOT true as I removed one board which was damaged only to find hat pipes that were meant to be running under this particular board were not where to be found!!

waynelozza
Labourer
Labourer

by waynelozza » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:18 pm

Cheers Redgate - Glad its not just my builders that are dodgy

I have managed to improve problem by renailing next to existing nails but still have one problem that i think i might have narrowed down to either a joist being loose or the stud wall that connects to the floor having some sort of problem - either way i am going to have to pull up floor so not looking forward to it - I've told the wife to step over it for now.

Cheers again

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:58 pm