Balmforth BD30
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bob the Blunderer
Labourer
Labourer

Balmforth BD30

by Bob the Blunderer » Sun May 03, 2009 11:19 am

So glad to see this resource, it's so difficult to find information about warm air systems these days.

My Balmforth BD30 has been installed since the house was built in '86. We're quite happy with warm air, and don't really want to change. I have the manaual for this unit, and I've serviced it (which is basically just cleaning it) according to the instructions. For the most part, everything's fine, I serviced the blower motor and changed the motorised programmer for a digital one.

Recently though, we've had trouble with the pilot going out repeatedly. We managed to get it lit again, but it's a yellowy flame and now the inside of the burner compartment and surrounds are covered in soot. That means incomplete combustion and we've turned it all off.

I don't really want to replace the unit, although I know that there are drop in units available from Lennox, Johnson and Starley etc, because I'm sure this is just a question of replacing the gas valve and thermocouple etc.

I'd welcome opinion, and any advice you may have. Also it'd be great to have some personal recommendation for trusted tradesmen in the Guildford area.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon May 04, 2009 7:19 pm

All that is needed - is to remove and clean the pilot and injector, if the flame is yellow it's not burning properly, you need a good solid blue flame otherwise it'll just lift off the therocouple when the appliance is on and will be blown out by the slightest bit of wind/draught.

'and I've serviced it (which is basically just cleaning it)'

No it's not, many people think this, servicing is checking the condition of the appliance, checking for deterioration of parts (cracks in burner etc) checking flue and ventilation requirements, checking gas pressures, checking spillage and flue flow - and yes - cleaning the appliance.

Just because an appliance is clean, doesn't mean it's safe to be used.

Get an RGI to service the appliance (this will include cleaning the pilot) and change the thermocouple if necessary. Then get an RGI to service the appliance annually.

htg

Nev Street
Labourer
Labourer

by Nev Street » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:30 pm

Hi Bob the Blunderer. I need to replace the motorised programmer for a digital one on my Balmforth BD 30. Does Balmforth manufacture it's own replacement? If not, would you be good enough to tell me which one you have used and where you got it from? The one on my system really does require replacement!

Many thanks :)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1