Banging Noise Behind Chimney Wall in the Bedroom?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
reita178
Labourer
Labourer

Banging Noise Behind Chimney Wall in the Bedroom?

Post by reita178 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:09 pm

Hi,
I am no professional but I dont think this problem is water hammer...the noise comes and goes at any time, never when a toilet is flushed or taps opened.
In fact the noise has started being more frequent at5.30am!
The noise is coming from the back bedroom chimney breast wall, its a thundering noise , which can be heard from downstairs, lasting maybe 5 or 10seconds This is driving me crazy, any comments would be greatly appreciated. Had a new radiator put in the dining room,with a new boiler about 5 months ago, but I think it may be started before then.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Banging Noise Behind Chimney Wall in the Bedroom?

Post by plumbbob » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:18 am

Water hammer can happen at any time. In extreme circumstances, it is even possible for a neighbour to cause the noise. Water hammer is typically a single bump or bang and you wouldn't expect it to last 5 or 10 seconds as you describe.

Unfortunately, as you have given such scant information, a diagnosis is practically impossible.

reita178
Labourer
Labourer

Post by reita178 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:52 am

As i have no idea as to the cause it is very hard to be more accurate with information. The noise is akin to a ball being bounced. Sometimes it is very loud! On other occasions more of a rumble. There is no pattern to the noise. It has started from as early as 5.30am..however it is more usually more common late afternoon early evening.
The noise doesn't follow any use of water.
My neighbour fitted a log burning fire last year. No idea if this is of any consequence
Can anybody suggest what tradesperson I need to resolve this problem. .

Andrea9745
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Andrea9745 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:30 pm

I have the same problem and it's driving me and my neighbour crazy...we have had united utilities out 3 times and plumbers and they can't find the cause.Did you solve the problem if so would really appreciate some advise.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:55 am