Banging Pipes
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SallyTB
Labourer
Labourer

Banging Pipes

Post by SallyTB » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:01 pm

I have a problem with really loud banging pipes. I have checked that they are clipped down and in some cases I put insualtion foam around them because they have banged themselves out of the clips. I have a baxi back boiler which is regularly serviced and a couple of years ago (when i still had the same problem) had my very small hot water tank and cold water tank replaced so that the hot water tank sits above the boiler in the bedroom and the cold water tank is still in the loft.

The banging seems to happen once the thermostat has clicked off ie when room temperature is hit and I can hear the pipes gurgling before it builds up into this massive banging noise. Tends only to happen once and then nothing else for a while. It is totally random - it might happen when the heating comes on in the morning but not the evening or vice versa, or both. I have tried turning the hot water temperature and pressure down and changing the room temperature but makes no difference.

Is this just air in the system and if it is, can I get it out? Or is something else going on here?

Any help appreciated for a girl whose dad can do many things but he doesn't do plumbing!

Thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:36 am

Quite common on baxi bermuda/45/55 back boilers. There was a manufacturers fault when they were first installed and the heat-exchangers wer changed - alot were ok for years after but get quite alot now where they bang - more on hot water only than central heating.

Replacing the heat-exchanger can be expensive so I would suggest saving up and get a combi installed.

You're talking £300 - £400 for the heat-ex, not including VAT and installation.

What you have to ask yourself is - for the age of the boiler is it worth spending that sort of money on it ?

It's not dangerous so you could put up the noise - until you have saved for a new boiler

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1