Bare plaster on bathroom ceiling
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
faym
Labourer
Labourer

Bare plaster on bathroom ceiling

by faym » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:52 am

Help! The bathroom in our 1930's house was refurbished sometime before we moved in 18 months ago, so has a fairly new plaster ceiling. Last winter the paint on the ceiling started peeling off, back to the bare plaster, so we had the paint stripped, the plaster sealed, and re-painted. This year, the same thing has happened again, but even more of the paint is peeling off now, leaving us with bare plaster.

I guess we have to do the sealing and re-painting again, but obviously we don't want to be doing it every year! Any ideas as to why this has happened again? The work was done and finished in a day last year, so I suppose it could be due to the various coats not drying, so plan to do it over a longer period this time.

Will the plaster need to 're-dry' as well, before we start? We need to be clean so we're still using the bathroom for showering!

Many thanks!

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:25 pm

Any condensation in the room will cause problems getting things to stick.

The plaster really needs to be completely dry before its decorated so you might want to wait until the warmer weather kicks in to help things along.

Once the plaster has dried you can then reseal it and use either a matt or preferably a kitchen and bathroom paint to decorate it.

faym
Labourer
Labourer

by faym » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:06 pm

Thanks Steven.

Condensation is definitely the problem, the peeling is all near the outside wall - there's none at all above the shower itself (we had an extractor fan fitted when we had the work done last year).

I'm a bit worried about the plaster being bare in the meantime though - will the moisture do it much damage if we leave it like that? As I said, we need to keep using the bathroom.

Thanks again for your speedy response.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:25 pm