Barn conversion RSJ's
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Boothy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Barn conversion RSJ's

by Boothy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:10 pm

Help please,

I am renovating a barn, it’s a corner barn and the floor structure is held in place by 5 rsj's, which span out like a fan from the back inverted corner of the barn outwards. I need to create a suspended ceiling to be able to get services through and to put up the plaster board. In-between the rsj's there is existing 4x2 joists which support the floor above. I was thinking to use battens attached to this running vertical then running lengths of 2x2 which will sit below the rsj's. The batten would then be screwed into the 2x2 and anchored by screwing into the existing 4x2 joists. I would run the new ceiling in the opposite direction to the excising floor joists, as they are not every 400. I know 2x2 is not strong enough to support that weight but I can attach battens every 800mm apart. If I use 3x2 I would not be able to get the head height for building control.

Does anyone think this is a good idea, and do you think the building officer would be interested in it? Suggestions please

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

rsj

by welsh brickie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:28 pm

Sounds good,approch him first though he may have another suggestion

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:00 am