Basement Flat Outbuilding Flooring Damp Issue
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Pecksey86
Labourer
Labourer

Basement Flat Outbuilding Flooring Damp Issue

by Pecksey86 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:52 am

Hi, I'm new to the website - so hopefully I have posted this in the right place. I have recently moved into a basement flat. The flat has a small outbuilding which is effectively the space under the access to the ground floor flat entrance. The flat has been plasterboarded with a layer of plastic sheeting underneath and the walls are stone. The floor is very uneven and at present is just brick/patches of concrete with lino placed on top. The area smells damp and the flooring on removal of the lino looks damp. What is the best course of action for this? Is it possible to concrete the floor directly, or should I be applying sand, a plastic damp proof layer and then concrete? I'm a relative novice DIY'er but keen to get the flooring sorted so that the room can be used as a storage room without too much risk of mould.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Basement Flat Outbuilding Flooring Damp Issue

by welsh brickie » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:59 pm

to seal and level the floor properly a damp proof membrane needs to be installed, or, hot asphalt can be poured on top of the existing floor. Other than that you could paint a bitumen paint on it then lay self level over it, but its no guarantee it will seal the floor completely

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:20 pm