Basement Walls Deteriorating Whats the Best Solution?
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
The4ndrew
Labourer
Labourer

Basement Walls Deteriorating Whats the Best Solution?

by The4ndrew » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:20 am

Help. I went to remove crumbling plaster from my basement wall in order to make repairs. When removing it from the inset (cupboard style alcove), I discovered the brick ( crumbling with little or no mortar ) only went up half a meter. There was then a piece of slate, also crumbling, covering a sheet of metal under which I could see earth. At this point I stopped what I was doing. The wall is in between an attach property.
If I were to carry on and earth fell in would it affect structure.
Should I cover it with board and plaster over, as done before.
I wanted to add mortar to the bricks, remove the sheet of metal and build up more bricks.
The area is from corner to corner 60cm wide and 210cm high.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Basement Walls Deteriorating Whats the Best Solution?

by welsh brickie » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:35 pm

I think before removing any more, you should consult a professional, where basement adjoining walls are concerned its best to have them checked out, before you do any other work

The4ndrew
Labourer
Labourer

by The4ndrew » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:53 pm

Thanks,
I got someone round, he looked and it's not dirt, there's a shoot from the old chimney above and soot falling out. I've emptied most and am just going to brick it in and some how seal of the hole above first. I'm pulling out al loose bricks, nothing that feels too secure ill just repoint them. I'm going to try replaster myself, I goto learn one day. Only problem is where they screwed in scirting it's allowing damp in.
Any ideas on what mortar and additive to seal holes with.
Thanks,
Andy.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:04 pm

fill the holes with a dpc injection cream, amazon have some. Don't drill and fix the skirting, use a grab adhesive and stick the skirting to the wall, but paint the back of the skirting with a good undercoat first

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm