Basic Electrical Work
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
HandymanRob
Labourer
Labourer

Basic Electrical Work

by HandymanRob » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi

Can anyone in the know please tell me, what extent of electrical work I can carry out legally.

I have a great understanding of Lighting circuits and ring mains, and while I dont intend to undertake any major electrical work for other people, I would like to be able to change light fittings, switches and socket fronts as part of my service. Although quite capable, am I able to do this, unqualified?.

If so, where is the line drawn?. Am I able to add spurs, security lights, etc?.

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers HandymanRob

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:27 pm

Go to projects follow links to part p and down load it. Read it and it will give you some understanding as to the extent of work your allowed to do.

All DIY has a big problem when it comes to testing, the meters are expensive and with out them even the best electrician is going to make mistakes.

I have all to many times found earths not connected where some time in the past the water pipes have been changed to plastic, or some one with best intentions has by passed the earth sensing wires on a voltage earth leakage trip. Yes they should no longer be used but you still find them and rubber twin and earth etc.

In theory all houses should be checked every ten years. But that is theory and it's not your mistakes but a combination of yours and the guy before you. But the law is only interested in the last person to work on the system who should have fully tested it.

Insurance for some one not qualified is worthless. So if you want to work on electrics get something to show you know what your doing or at least watch your back and get some one who does to test the work after.

Legally it is very hard to define what you can do. As you get laws to say you must follow a regulation which in its self is not a law. And most laws are from case law so if someone has done it before and found as guilty so will you.

If you do something on your own house and get it wrong your not likely to tell the authorities but do it on some one else's house it is a different story.

I would say for an electrician who worked all his live in industry to get qualification's and test gear to work on his own would cost £1000 plus. For a non-electrician most likely a lot more. You will see kitchen fitters who for years have done there own electrics have stopped now. Even alarm engineers as they like to call them selves have stopped doing the 230 volt side.

Anyway read the document then decide for your self.

All best Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:21 pm