Bath to Tile Seal
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
peachy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bath to Tile Seal

by peachy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi, in the process of refurbishing the bathroom, and was wondering what type of seal to use around the bath?(bath to tile on two sides, with overbath shower :? ) The only one I have used in the past is the type that has that very annoying black glue behind it which I manage to get everywhere!!. I have seen some that are strips on a role, are these any good? One I did notice recently in one of the DIY outlets is a seal that actually "expands" with movement, can't remember the make but sounds quite good!! Anyone got any advice/recommendations?
Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:01 pm

peachy,
Use silicone sealant (not the water based one). If you are not good forming the bead buy a former and use masking tape on the bath and tiles to limit the spread - remove the masking tape before the sealant sets.
end

peachy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by peachy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:00 am

Thanks for reply. I intend using silicone first, but really wanted to put a bath seal over that (it will look a bit better than sealant!) so was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.
Thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:35 pm

I find with sealant strips, they don't flex with the bath and consequently are actually more prone to failure than just silicone on its own. It is also difficult to finish the trim at the shower screen too.

Of course if the bath was installed after the tiles the gap may be too wide for a simple bead of silicone to cover.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:06 pm