Bathroom bonding
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
early_911
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom bonding

by early_911 » Mon May 14, 2007 3:12 pm

First post so please be gentle . . .

Having looked at the main sites info on bonding, I'm still not 100%, so I hope you don't mind me asking here (my searches weren't hugley sucessful either)

I've moved my bathroom upstairs. It has a non-electric shower, a basin, a tolilet, a resin (plastic) bath, a radiator and 2 (centrally heated) towel radiators.

On the electrics front, there is a pull cord extractor fan and two wall lights (swtiched from outside the room).

1. Do I need bonding at all?

2. Do I connect everything together (basin to towel radiators, towel radiators to bath, bath to shower etc, etc)?

3. Does the wire then go back to the consummer unit (as per the DIY manual I've got).

4. Does the pipe to the toilet need bonding as well.

5. Can the strap things (obviously not the tech term), be connected a little distance from the object (e.g. the pipe to the toliet is boxed in - could I connect a metre away where it's exposed . . . and the towel radiators . . . can the straps be hidden in the stud wall)

6. Can I use a 4mm earth wire (as this is what I've started to use).

Hope you can help,

Phil

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon May 14, 2007 9:15 pm

Hi Phil, short answer, if fan is in roof space with no mains wiring accessible in room then as you have no 'current using equipment' in the room you don't need any bonding in the room, hot/cold can be bonded outside say in loft or airing cupboard & MUST NOT be taken back to consumer unit.
If cross bonding then 4mm if 'not mechanically protected', 2.5 if its enclosed.
I'm a bit concerned about wall lights though as I don't know of many that are suitable for use in a bathroom, except for in zone 3.
regards SPARX

early_911
Labourer
Labourer

by early_911 » Tue May 15, 2007 12:18 pm

[i]1. Do I need bonding at all? [/i]

[b]The Fan is through the wall, but has no main wiring visable. Does this make a difference?[/b]

[i]2. Do I connect everything together (basin to towel radiators, towel radiators to bath, bath to shower etc, etc)? [/i]

[b]Assuming I have to (or should just to be 100% safe) cross bond . . . . I presuming from your response that I can link them all together (heating and water)[/b]

[i]3. Does the wire then go back to the consummer unit (as per the DIY manual I've got). [/i]

[b]Urm . . . will have to kick off with the book people.[/b]

[i]4. Does the pipe to the toilet need bonding as well.[/i]

[b]???? [/b]

[i]5. Can the strap things (obviously not the tech term), be connected a little distance from the object (e.g. the pipe to the toliet is boxed in - could I connect a metre away where it's exposed . . . and the towel radiators . . . can the straps be hidden in the stud wall).[/i]

[b]Sounds like in stud walls will be okay (room has no loft space).[/b]

[i]6. Can I use a 4mm earth wire (as this is what I've started to use).[/i]

[b]Yes.[/b]

Hope you can help,

Phil

[b]PS. Lights are in Zone 3, so okay.[/b]

[b][/b]

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue May 15, 2007 10:59 pm

As I said Phil just connect hot to cold to rad pipe in roof void/stud work with bonding clamps & 4mm cable, as wc pipe will be connected to cold pipework no futher bonding reqd.
SPARX

armo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bathroom - Bonding

by armo » Wed May 16, 2007 8:32 am

Hi Sparx.......just a quick query.....Why must the earth bonding not be taken back to the main Earth ?.........thanks in advance....

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed May 16, 2007 6:59 pm

For Armo, reason is if earth fault develops on another circuit, but not enough to blow fuse/ mcb then until it does all earthing would be at elevated volts, paticularly if pme neutral faulty connection, the voltage present may not be enough to hurt you with dry skin contact but in bathroom!!!!

armo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by armo » Thu May 17, 2007 11:09 am

Thanks Sparx........see what you mean....ATB... :D

early_911
Labourer
Labourer

by early_911 » Tue May 22, 2007 4:48 pm

I couldn't get my head round connecting them all togther, but the diagram on the following site helped.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/5.4.3.htm

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:26 am