Bathroom Condensation Problem That's Destroying Ceiling
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bobbo
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Condensation Problem That's Destroying Ceiling

Post by Bobbo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:22 am

Condensation 1.jpg
Hello all,

all advice is very much appreciated.

House is let to tenants.

Condensation on the bathroom ceiling is getting worse.

Bathroom has a heated towel rail.

I fitted an extractor fan in 2012 ( see photo ) which stays on for a few minutes after the light is activated.

This ceiling previously had to be replaced due to condensation, that's why I got the extractor fan.

There is no leak in the roof and the whole loft is insulated with fibreglass.

I have been in the loft and the mould is showing on the ceiling boards. There is lots of mould in the bathroom too on the tiles etc.

I suspect
1 the tenants turn the fan off because it makes a noise at night.
2 the tenants don't open the window after using the shower
3 the towel rail is making the problem worse.
4 even with the extractor fan, there is not enough ventilation.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do about this ?

thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nhpendall
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Bathroom Condensation Problem That's Destroying Ceiling

Post by nhpendall » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:53 am

from the pattern on the ceuling looks like there is a coldspot at that point. check the insulation at that point if you can get to it as there is probably a gap in the isulation there. You should have 270mm of insulation these days. The towel rail is not causing the problem. ultimately the problem is that there is too much moisture in the air and it has to go somewhere. you may want to replace the extractor fan which you have (some are VERY noisy) with a low noise fan. get one with a humidistat fitted so that it will run until the humidity gets to a suitable level and hide the off switch. this 9is an example of a low noise fan with humidistat http://www.screwfix.com/p/xpelair-dx100 ... _container

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1