Bathroom floor tiles - grout loose
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
morag.benson@indium.plus.
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom floor tiles - grout loose

by morag.benson@indium.plus. » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:17 pm

I had my bathroom tiled recently. The grouting has cracked between the tiles. I tried regrouting it and its done exactly the same thing. Why has it cracked and coming loose? I did leave it long enough to dry.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:05 pm

We would say that the grout is cracking because you did not strengthen the floor and the whole lot is twisting and bending when its walked on. See the project section on laying floor tiles for instructions on how to lay tiles onto a timber floor.

deano
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Bathroom floor tiles - grout loose

by deano » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:04 pm

[quote="morag.benson@indium.plus."]I had my bathroom tiled recently. The grouting has cracked between the tiles. I tried regrouting it and its done exactly the same thing. Why has it cracked and coming loose? I did leave it long enough to dry.[/quote]

if you haven't already, try using flexable grout rither then normal grout. you need to use flexable adisive for laying the floor tiles

jond
Apprentice
Apprentice

Grout cracking/loose

by jond » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:00 pm

Hello there i have the same problem with the grout coming loose the floor was taken up and noggins put about 400mm apart down the run of the joists and then five plyboard layed 18mm what i need to know is where you can get flexible grout from most of the tiles are ok its just two of the tiles where grout is cracking

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:43 pm

[quote]what i need to know is where you can get flexible grout from [/quote]

any decent tile shop.

[quote]most of the tiles are ok its just two of the tiles where grout is cracking[/quote]

but unfortunately you'll probably have to re-grout the whole lot - unless you are happy to live with the resulting colour variation which is inevitable i'm afraid, even with white grout. unless you are very lucky.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 pm